Headteacher’s Blog #19 02/02/2018
- Diary Dates for next week
- Wednesday 07 February 5.00-6.00 pm Parents’ Forum
- Thursday 08 and Friday 09 February 7.00 pm Drama Production (details below)
- Year 11
- I am delighted to announce that we will be trialling a new revision technique with Year 11 this year. This follows a successful pilot programme at our sister school, Chesterton Community College. Parents/carers of Year 11 students will receive an email every day between now and the end of the summer examination period. This message will include revision questions in a range of subjects for them to ask their child. The following subjects will be involved in the first instance: Geography, History, Science (Biology, Chemistry, and Physics). Each subject’s questions should take between 1-5 minutes for parents/carers to discuss with their child.
The daily email question is a new technique that we are introducing for 2018 and we will be formally evaluating its success. We would welcome comments about the programme from those participating in the trial – its structure, the questions, how it is working (or not!). We will be conducting some formal surveys to collect information. In addition, please do feel free to email Dr Hutchinson at any point over the coming months to share feedback with her. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- As another half term draws to an end, there are currently 58 students in Year 11 in with a chance of winning the Nando’s voucher for 100% attendance this half term. The draw will be made in a special assembly on Wednesday 21 February (first week back), when students will be introduced to a special day where all lessons will be dedicated to teaching students how to revise and provide them with different techniques to try.
- All parents/carers of students in Year 11 will receive a letter in the post over the next couple of days regarding extra lessons over the half term break and compulsory “period 6” (end of the school day) sessions. We are also organising an evening for parents/carers to come in and learn how to support students at home with revision over the next few weeks as exams approach.
- Well done to the wonderful Year 7 debaters who last week were up against each other debating whether Christmas has been commercialised. We had a visiting guest judge, Jacqueline Westrop from the Downham Market Rotary Club who was really impressed with all the speeches – and her fellow adjudicator Robert Waring; giving them each individual feedback in turn. Our winners were Charlie Thompsett and Alys Barney – very well done to you both.
- Debating continues for Year 7 students on Wednesday lunchtimes in E7 with new challenges ahead.
- This year’s Drama production, The Real True Story (an adaptation of Hansel and Gretel), will take place at 7.00 pm next Thursday (8th) and Friday (9th) February; tickets are available from the Finance Office (£5/adult, £3/child) or email@example.com . Friday is nearly sold out.
- Well done Amber Scott – Year 9 in Europe House (who also represents West Norfolk Athletics Club). Amber achieved a 1st place medal in the under 15 girls’ 60m sprint and 3rd place in the long jump last Sunday at the Keith Ward Memorial and Norfolk County Indoor Championships at Lynnsport.
- The current top Reward Points for each Year group:
|Year 7||Year 8|
|Year 9||Year 10|